From:
Paul Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 19:05:49 -0500
For Immediate Release                                                   May 1, 1998

Mankato State Admitted To Western Collegiate Hockey Association

Marco Island, Fla. ---  The Western Collegiate Hockey Association
announced at a press conference today that it has voted unanimously to
admit Mankato State as its tenth member.  Mankato State will begin
playing a full conference schedule beginning with the 1999-2000 season.
As it did during the 1997-98 season, Mankato State will play 1998-99 as
a NCAA Division I independent and will participate in the WCHA
post-season play-offs as the 10th-ranked team.
        "I'd like to congratulate MSU on their professionalism with
application and presentation," said Norm Chervany, Faculty
Representative from the University of Minnesota.    "The way they
(Mankato State) handled themselves is evidence of the quality of the
institution and it's people."
 "I feel that the association feels really good about its decision."
said WCHA Commissioner Bruce McLeod.  "It was hard getting there, but
both MSU and the WCHA should feel terrific about the decision."
Including a 3-13-2 mark against teams from the WCHA this
year, Mankato State went 15-17-6 this year as an independent.  The
Mavericks lost twice (5-2, and 5-4) to the University of North Dakota
in the first round of the WCHA Play-0ffs.
        Mankato State officials were elated at today's announcement.
"We didn't know what would happen." said head coach Don Brose, who has
served as MSU's head coach since the program was elevated to varsity
status in 1969.  "Getting in the league has always been a concern.
We've tried to understand all the concerns of the league
and hope that they understood ours.  It's always been a dream."
        Mankato State University director of men's athletics Don Amiot
and school president Dr. Richard R. Rush echoed Brose's sentiments.
 "It's great to be in the best hockey conference in the nation.
Especially for our student-athletes," said Amiot.
 "My first feeling was of relief, then exhilaration," said Rush.  "The
campus will be ecstatic."

Paul Allan

Check out the Mavericks on the Web at
http://www.mankato.msus.edu/dept.athletics/Welcome.html
Or call the Maverick Sports Hotline at (507) 380-9785
or, toll free in Minn., 1-800-920-9785.