From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 20:18:26 -0500
Joe LaCour writes:

>IF (a big if) the NCAA went to a 16 team tourny, should the regionals be
>on campus or at a neutral site?
>
>If we went to campus sites, my only concern would be lack of hotel rooms
>and transportation at a particular school/town.  Most can handle one or
>two teams in town, but 3 teams, plus fans, plus TV and NCAA crews may put
>a strain on small town and the NCAA resources.
>
>At least at a neutral site you get good hotels and transportation.
>
>Thoughts anyone?

Personally I am opposed to campus sites for any round of the NCAA's.  It
gives incredibly unfair advantage to the home team in what is supposed to
be a national tournament conducted to show who is truly the champion.  By
giving (at least this year) Michigan a leg up, I will be shocked if they
don't make it to Boston.  BTW, what does this say about fan interest in
Western Hockey?  The fact that the NCAA has to resort to a smallish campus
site because of attendance questions does not speak well for the general
love of the sport out there.  I do recall both the 1979 and 1985 NCAA's in
Detroit when neither Michigan or MSU was involved and the Olympia and the
Joe respectively were empty.  Perhaps one of,youm CCHA ar WCHA gurus can
shed some light on this for us.

Gerg Ambrose