From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 15:37:00 EST
Notre Dame 4 MICHIGAN 2
MICHIGAN 2 Notre Dame 1 OT
MICHIGAN 4 Notre Dame 3

In a series that saw 199 minutes of hockey, Michigan had
the lead for exactly 14:19.  Suffice it to say, this was a classic
first round series.  It was the first time UM lost a playoff game
at Yost since 1989.  (The 1990-97 CCHA first round series
were all sweeps.)  All three games saw UND lead, 1-0,
after the first period.  In the end, it may have been decided
by special teams as the Wolverines went 3-for-5 on the
power play in game three while the Irish were 0-for-5.

I don't have the exact quote in front of me, but UM coach
Red Berenson said something to the effect of, "if this had
been a best-of-seven series, it would have gone seven
games."

Other tidbits: Michigan's overall record improves to 30-10-1,
marking the eighth consecutive season UM has reached
the 30 win plateau.

Michigan played without defensemen Sean Peach (Sat-Sun)
and Mike Van Ryn (Sun), both out due to concussions.
I've heard that Peach is done for the season.

No comment on the officiating...and that includes the linesmen.
(I'm not going to call them assistant referees until they get
their head out of their a** and start making some calls.  At
least the blatant ones.)

John Haeussler ([log in to unmask])