From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 17:54:11 -0500
People are trying to form a Div 1 Women's varsity league in the Midwest.
There are a number of questions in regards grants, and other issues that
are still developing.  My guess is as early as next fall we will see a D1
varsity WWCHA with four to six teams to start.  Within two years we will
also have a Div 3, mostly varsity, Minnesota Women's league (MIAC).  The
MCWHA, D3, mostly club, will also continue to play.  The MCWHA second
championship is coming up this weekend.

Meanwhile, back East, the ECAC Alliance, Div III which allows no athletic
scholarships, will be adding the following schools in 1998-99: Bates,
Sacred Heart, Southern Maine, Trinity and Union.  The Alliance will be
formed into four regions of four teams next year, with each team playing
in their own region twice and out of region once for an 18 game league
schedule.  Playoffs will include the top team in each region and 2
at-large teams.  The regions and travel partners:

WEST:
Colgate-RIT
Union-Hamilton

NORTH:
Middlebury-Vermont
Rensselaer-Williams

SOUTH:
Wesleyan-Trinity
Sacred Heart-Conn College

EAST
Bowdoin-Bates
Southern Maine-Amherst

Look for a D3 Women's National Championship within the next two years.

As announced earlier, the ECAC Women's League will add Maine and Niagara
next season.  Look for a Hockey East Women in a year or two.

/
 good shooting
 hungerf