From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 08:42:00 EST
Well, it's obvious that the Spartans have the Wolverines'
number this year.  As a UM fan, I can only hope that we
have another LSSU-UM-1994 in the making were the team
that lost all of the regular-season and CCHA tournament
meetings took revenge with a victory in the NCAA tourney.

In the past two season, MSU enjoys a 6-2-0 record versus
UM.  Prior to this past weekend, each of the Spartan victories
represented the end of a lengthy Wolverine streak:

02 November 1996 (MICHIGAN STATE 5 Michigan 4)
Michigan's 15-game winning streak dating back to 1995-96
(including the post-season run to the 1996 NCAA title) was
stopped.  The 15-game streak had tied the school record
set during the 1990-91...a streak also stopped by MSU.

08 February 1997 (Michigan State 2 Michigan 1 at JLA)
Michigan's 23-game undefeated streak (20-0-3) was
stopped.  (Losses to MSU bookending the streak.)

25 October 1997 (Michigan State 4 MICHIGAN 2)
Michigan's 32-game Yost unbeaten streak (30-0-2) versus
CCHA opponents (including CCHA first round playoff games)
was snapped.  (The Wolverines are 9-0-0 vs CCHA opponents
at Yost since the loss.)

28 December 1997 (Michigan State 5 Michigan 3 at JLA)
Michigan's 20-game Great Lakes Invitational winning streak
and nine-year run as GLI champions is ended.

I'm not aware of any UM streak that ended this past weekend,
but maybe someone can point one out. :-)

One streak that did continue is UM's losing streak when I'm
on vacation.  (I was in Florida the weekend of the Miami
sweep and in Nashville this past weekend.)  UM is 14-2-0
in games I've attended this season and 11-6-1 in my absence. :-)

Go Blue!

John Haeussler ([log in to unmask])

PS...As for the "best game" thread, I'll vote for "the next game
I attend."  Gotta love anticipation.  College hockey is such a
great sport, every game is a "best game" is some respect.