From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 21:49:46 -0600
On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Randy May wrote:

> Now that women's programs are cropping up all over (or are rumored to) how
> will this affect title IV? (or vice versa) will schools have to award varsity
> status to one mens program too?

The main effect of the increase in women's hockey on Title IX will be
that the schools who add it will be closer to compliance, but probably
still not there. I believe it was said last year that in D-I*, only Army and
Air Force are currently in compliance, and that is largely because their
male-female ratio is skewed towards males.

Until schools start playing women's football, compliance will be
extremely difficult.

See you later,
John

*-I can't recall if this meant D-I hockey schools or all of Division I.

--
John Edwards - [log in to unmask] - http://www.islandnet.com/~jedwards
                     Member, Ross Regabliati Fan Club