From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 10:14:42 -0600
> Now to bitch a bit.  The Ref gave DU a penalty shot in each game!  The
> decision to award a penalty shot on Friday night was poorly thought out
> to say the least - to say the most it was negligent.  The UW goalie had
> caught his stick in the netting and was trying to get it out, in the
> process he dislodged the cage, there was no goal-mouth scramble either.
> The Ref (Buzz Christianson) was standing right there.  He decided that
> UW goalie dislodged the cage on purpose.

It certainly was one of those calls that we've all seen not called a
million times. And I agree, Buzzy was right there, so I don't understand
the call at all (I watched it several times on the replay... from where
everyone was positioned, a replay should not have been necessary in
order to clearly see what happened).

> Saturday nights decision was almost as bad.  The ref ruled that the UW
> defenseman covered the puck in the crease intentionally.  He didn't
> notice that the UW defenseman was pushed from behind and fell into the
> crease.

I was also at the game. From a lot farther away than the ref was, all I
knew was that Rothering was pushed, and it looked like half of each team
was in the crease. I didn't see what Rothering did with his hands, or
where the puck was.

On the replay, the puck wasn't even covered when Buzzy blew his
whistle. Since none of us were exactly where Buzzy was, we don't know
what he saw. I think he was wrong, but he was there and had to make the
call right then.

Still, two penalty shots, in consecutive games, for the same team, taken
by the same player, on the same goalie, at the same end of the ice is
pretty rare!

Question for the rules gurus: Saturday's penalty shot came while
Wisconsin was short-handed. After a short discussion, the player was let
out of the box after the penalty-shot goal. More discussion followed. I
assume that Denver wanted the man to remain in the box. Was that the
right call?

> All bitching aside, DU deserved to win one game this weekend, they
> played well and the Badgers play ok, but they have to step it up pretty
> soon.

Very true.

        --david