From:
"(No Name)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 21:05:23 -0400
Craig Lisko/HCS/CSC
02/25/97 09:05 PM

The obvious issue that every player faces: Do I concentrate on school or
hockey?

I think that the majority of players, while playing think that hockey is
going to be their profession of choice, but that's not always the case.
They feel that hockey will always be the method that will put the food on
the table, and the education gets overlooked. I am not making  a global
assumption, but a majority statement.

I applaud the schools who emphasize the education. I am so thankful that I
was able to keep my education in perspective. I played with players who
left after four years without any degree, or any major progress towards it.
What suprises me are the people who are shocked that an athlete is getting
good grades. Why? Some students work 40 hours a week and then go to school,
are people shocked that they are doing well? No, I think it's expected! Why
are "intelligent" athletes held on such a high regard?

I don't mean to focus this on me, but while at Ferris I completed by BS in
Computer Info Systems with a 3.21. That's not great, but it's decent. I was
lucky to have completed my MS in Info Systems Management during my fifth
(fourth playing) year with a 3.98, and was named to the CCHA and GTE 1st
Team All-Academic Team. What shocked me was the number of people saying
things like, "Man, you must be a genius." Well for anyone who has met me,
they know this is not the case. If it was, why was I the goalie?

Education, as my father said before he passed away before my senior year,
"Get your master's degree. They can never take that away from you!" Pretty
damn good advice if you ask me.  Where am I today? I'm not playing hockey,
and I have a good job, and I have NO regrets. I tried playing pro hockey,
but I lost the desire once I completed my master's. So today I am happily
married, refereeing hockey ( a few too many shots to the head made that
decision easy), and trying to give back to college hockey what I
got...STRENGTH, COURAGE, PERSERVERANCE, and CONFIDENCE.  Yes, some of this
came from hockey, but college taught me alot as well.

As I always remember, they can't take the education away from you, but
hockey can be taken away!

Craig Lisko
Ferris State 1990-1994