From:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 11:58:41 -0500
Providence College's upset win over UNH last night at Schneider Arena was
followed by a brawl involving all players from both teams.

Given its potential impact on the league's regular season championship and
post-season seeding the game was intense from the outset. The table may have
been set by events the night before when at UNH, PC blew a 4-2 and allowed
UNH 7 third period goals.  The Friars, who had proven they could play with
the Wildcats for 40 minutes, had to be embarassed by that outcome. And UNH,
who deservedly has developed an expectation that they will win, had to be
frustrated that they quickly fell behind again but this time were not in the
comforts of their home barn.  It also has seemed to me in recent past
matches between these teams that UNH's Dick Umile gets especially up for the
Friars. Umile was once an assistant coach at PC but apparently was passed
over when (if I remember my history correctly) Steve Stirling returned to
Babson and Mike McShane was named the new head man.

But there is no doubt in my mind that more than anything else, what
precipitated the way the night concluded was the poor job done throughout
the game by Referee Frank Cole.  Cole is generally considered one of the
best at his job and I would usually agree.  But tonight he certainly was
not.  He simply did not keep things under control. Missed, make-up and
non-calls only served to further excite both benches.  After the second
period PC's coach Pooley was so livid he came onto the ice to speak with
Cole, something I have never seen him do in his almost 3 years at PC.  Now,
I've been on the list long enough to know that complaints about officials
are generally not viewed kindly. But because what happened following this
game was so out of the ordinary, I don't think this account would be
complete without including some appraisal.

The brawl was like seeing a bad car accident.  Everyone looks but given a
choice I'd prefer it to not have happened at all.

Events began when the game ended and both benches came on the ice to
congratulate their goaltenders.  As both teams moved toward center ice to
begin the traditional handshake line coaches Pooley and Umile began a heated
discussion.  The two teams began to mill about and there was some bumping.
At this point I reached down to get my four year old out of the aisle.  The
person who accompanies me to most games, and who is as impartial about games
as can be, told me she observed a UNH assistant coach get in the face of a
PC player. I cannot say with the complete certainty that was what started it
all, but the Providence Journal reported it similarly and a UNH fan sitting
nearby expressed to me that the PC player was wrong, which would seem to
confirm it further. Then all hell broke loose.  Every player on the ice
paired off and probably half began punching. Things got worse as individual
matches became uneven and players went to the aid of their teammates.
Neither coaching staff attempted to throw any blows (that I saw), nor made
any attempt to stop what was going on around them until events had nearly
run their course after what seemed like forever.  The linesman, after a few
futile attempts to get things back under control, for all practical purposes
became invisible.

And in what I think was the greatest irony, as skirmishes went on
everywhere, Referee Cole calmly skated around recording the players to be
penalized.  He must have had some difficulty considering how many uniform
sweaters there were that had been either partially or completely torn off
during the fracas.

I was digusted by it all.  It is not what I go to see and it is not what I
want my son, a young fan, to observe.  PC games usually draw a family
oriented crowd. Friar Boy, a 6 foot plus  costume creation of a dalmatian is
followed by a parade of kids wherever he goes in the rink. This night was no
exception.  Many of those in attendance were from out of town youth teams
paticipating in a local tournament.  And there was a considerable UNH
contingent there, many with their kids, which makes me wonder how bad things
could have gotten had fights broken out in the stands, an occurrence that
seemed all too possible.

I've watched Hockey East since its inception and cannot recall hearing about
anything remotely similar ever happening.  What kind of impact can be
expected on the two teams as they set up to make their post-season runs?  I
expect there will be numerous fighting DQs for both team's next games
(Lowell at PC, UNH ______) but what about beyond that?  Both coaches I think
should expect to face disciplinary actions (suspensions?) from the league
for failing to control their teams.

For PC those game suspensions would fall on the team's last regular home
game, senior night.  Traditionally, each senior along with his parents is
introduced to the crowd at center ice and his mother given flowers.  It
would be a damn shame if any of those disqualified are seniors and would be
unable to play in that game.

It is also possible that the colleges could impose their own sanctions on
their coach and student athletes under the school's code of conduct which
presumably does not allow for such behavior. (Although I think it unlikely
and certainly hope it does not.)

If there was anyone from UNH at the game I hope they will report what they
observed.

I am leaving this mornng for a couple days away.  I expect it will take at
least that long to get the bad taste of Saturday night's events out of mouth.

-Bill Schneller