From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 09:44:34 -0700
Concussions magnify vulnerability
Waldo's injury creates concern at CC
byline to Angie Reese
I could find no copyright restrictions noted with either the article
or the sports page - cdash

Colorado College hockey player Jason Gudmundson isn't rushing his
recovery from a concussion he suffered 3 1/2 weeks ago.

Especially since a teammate, Brian Waldo, remains hospitalized from a
concussion he sustained 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Gudmundson received his concussion Jan. 18 in a home game with
Minnesota-Duluth and spent the night at Penrose Hospital. On orders of
a neurologist, Gudmundson has avoided physical activity in hopes of
returning to the lineup for next week's series with Minnesota.

"It scared everyone a lot," Gudmundson said of Waldo's concussion,
which has kept the sophomore defenseman at Penrose Hospital since Jan.
26 for physical, occupational and speech therapy. "I know it really
had a big effect on me.

"When I saw him the first time . . . there were a lot of things --
concerns -- going on in the back of my mind."

Gudmundson was leading the Tigers in goals (13) before the Jan. 18
game.

The CC medical staff took extra precautions because Gudmundson, 22,
had had three concussions before entering CC -- one in midget hockey,
one during his first year of junior hockey and a third in a car
accident that same year.

Gudmundson said he wonders how susceptible he is to receiving another.

"It makes me wonder how hard or how easy you have to jar your head for
it to happen," he said.

Gudmundson has not had any headaches since last Thursday and the CC
medical staff said he soon would start fitness training. A neurologist
is to examine him next Tuesday to determine when he can return to the
ice.

"Now, I'm definitely more cautious about coming back too soon,"
Gudmundson said. "I'm not going to rush things, and I don't think they
(CC medical staff) are going to let me."

Waldo, who will turn 20 next month, was moved last week to an acute
rehabilitation unit at Penrose. According to a medical release from CC
on Tuesday, Waldo's condition has improved significantly during the
past week.

Waldo continues to receive up to six hours daily of occupational,
physical and speech therapy as efforts are being made to return him
soon to the classroom.

      charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
                    http://www.cs.uccs.edu/~cdash
            (719) 262-3492               (fax) 262-3369