From:
Scott Spooner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Spooner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 1997 10:25:45 -0500
At 01:05 PM 1/4/97 -0600, John R. Nash wrote:
>        In the UVM/UW game in the Showdown, there was a point in the game
>when a Vermont player played a significant amount of time with a broken
>stick (blade snapped off).  I had always thought that "playing with a
>broken stick" was a minor penalty for safety reason, but nothing was
>called. Can anyone clarify the rule for me?
>        Also, a few times during the tourney I saw a player whose helmet
>was knocked of continue playing for a while.  As I understood the rule, I
>thought that the player was obligated to skate immediately to the bench
>upon losing his helmet.  Again, has there been a change?  Also, if a player
>is not allowed to play w/o a hemlet, can he skate over and pick up the
>dislodged helmet and put it back on?

Rule 6-5.a of the 1997 NCAA rule book states:

A player without a stick may participate in the game. A player whose stick
is broken may participate in the game provided the individual drops the
broken stick. A minor penalty shall be imposed for an infraction of this rule.

Note: A broken stick is one that, in the opinion of the official, is unfit
for normal play. A stick with a chipped or cracked blade shall not be
considered a broken stick, provided such a blade is entirely covered with
tape and there are no projecting points.

End of Quote

Goaltenders are allowed to play with broken sticks.

Rule 3-4.b of the 1997 NCAA rule book states:

It is compulsory for all players, including goalkeepers, to wear ice hockey
helmets with chin straps securely fastened. Football helmets may not be
worn. A player, excluding goalkeepers, whose helmet and/or facemask has come
off during play, must replace the helmet and/or facemask immediately or go
to the players' bench. A player not conforming to this rule shall be
assessed a minor penalty. If a goalkeeper's mask and/or helmet is displaced,
there shall be an immediate whistle.

Scott Spooner

University of Michigan
NCAA Hockey Champions, '48,'51,'52,'53,'55,'56,'64,'96