From:
"Klein, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Klein, Steve
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 14:50:00 PST
I'm usually as much a prude as anyone on the list, so I was a little
surprised at Erik's reaction.
Not that I disagree; I guess I'm just used to this kind of behavior at
sporting events.
I thought the story was kinda funny and kinda sad.
But considering some of the language I've heard at Michigan sports events
(sorry Wolverine fans, but in my experience, you take the collegiate cake),
suck just didn't disturb me.
And you know how kids are. They hear a dirty word and they think it's funny.
Four year olds and the somewhat older...
Of course, compared to the language and behavior at Yankee Stadium, even
Michigan is mild.
Sorry to pick on Michigan, but anyone who sits behind the benches at Yost
know exactly what I'm talking about (at least they don't bring marshmellows
to the hockey games).
Mix a little booze with some fanaticism, and that's you get.
Steve Klein
 ----------
>>> Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]> 11/26/96 12:39pm >>>
>>> I think this is more sad than funny.  Casual profanity like this ruins
the
>>> experience for many potential fans, not just at Yost but elsewhere
>>> too.  I'm sorry that Joe's niece won't grow up attending and enjoying
>>> college hockey.

Ditto, Erik! This is indeed sad. I can only shake my head and wonder
why. However, this is no way confined to college hockey. Try watching
a baseball game in Fenway Park when the Yankees are in town.  Its sad
because people get together and laugh about these incidents without
ever thinking about the repercutions.  Its like the kids don't belong there
or
something. *shrug* Even the Jesuits at B.C. don't have enough influence
to keep this from happening in their own rink. Why I expect better from
them, I'm not sure ... kids are kids wherever they go to school.