From:
MATTHEW CALDERWOOD <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MATTHEW CALDERWOOD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 1996 08:43:51 -0500
>The Facility...sort of small(3000), mostly bleachers, always a good crowd(not
>always into it), lousy visitor locker rooms, great home locker room, small
>lobby, seems like only 2 toilets, , fast ice, tight corners(notice I did not
>say small ice, it isn't, its full size...just tight), loud...could be a nice
>home ice barn

Does Achilles really seat 3000?  I thought it was considerably smaller.  True,
the bleachers let you fit more people in the given space, but that only makes it
that much less comfortable when it's crowded.  I've only been there a few times,
and only for RPI games which, due to geography and a long-standing rivalry in
all sports, would obviously one of the more popular games each year, but I
thought from (Albany) Times Union stories that it held around 1800.  I've often
wondered when the school would spring for a larger building; Achilles was build
for a D-3 program, and it is a great arena in that respect, but Union College
needs more seating capacity.

As for perspective, I started at RPI in fall '89 and watched as Union went to
D-I a few years later.  RPI fans at home games regularly cheered when
out-of-town scores indicated a Dutchmen lead or victory, especially during '94
when Union jumped from 12th (?) place the previous two (?) seasons to sixth,
setting up a first-round playoff at #3 RPI.  I was there for the thrilling '94
playoffs in which Union shocked the Engineers in game 1 before succumbing the
following two nights; that Union victory was the jumping-off point that
indicated that the rivalry had matured.  I suspect that if and when Union starts
to regularly surpass the Engineers in the standings, the cheers in Troy will
start to be for Union losses and deficits in the out of town scores.

Anyway, if anyone knows more about the Union coaching situation, please let us
know.  The program at Union has the potential to be in the top half of the
Conference more often than not.  Oh, and a message to Union fans: the orange
thing is SO old.  Time to give that one a rest. :-)

Matt
RPI '94