From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 10:15:00 EST
After Terry Burton's ([log in to unmask]) post, I have to
chime in on this.

First of all, Terry and I HAVE to see a game together, although
a BGSU-Michigan game is probably not a good idea. :-)
Seriously, it sounds like Terry and I are cut from the same mold,
and I had at least one UM Hockey-Ler point this out to me at
the game last night.  Heckle away, but avoid profanity.  Creative
verbal abuse is always appreciated.

As for characterizing former OSU head coach Jerry Welsh as
a model of "skill and professionalism", I think this falls under
written abuse.  Of course, everyone can only speak from their
own experiences, but as one of the resident hecklers at Yost
I can say that Welsh was the easiest target in the CCHA.  He
routinely lost his cool and was probably the worst loser that I
can remember.  (Frank Anzalone comes to mind as well.)  Skill
and professionalism don't come to mind when I think of Jerry
Welsh.  Nuff said.

As for Markell, I obviously wasn't at the BGSU-OSU game that
has raised this discussion, but I've never had a problem with
Markell.  I will say that, in the little that I've seen, I like what he's
doing with OSU on the ice.  I think he has the program headed
in the right direction.  He does strike me as being feisty, but I
witnessed an overwhelmingly positive response from OSU
players and fans alike when Markell replaced Welsh late last
season.  At least he's liked at home.  I don't think the same can
be said of Welsh.

Fwiw...the guy that seems to take everything too well is UIC
head man Larry Pedrie.  It's no secret that Larry Pedrie is one
of my least favorite persons associated with college hockey.
Aside from the fact that I think he's the worst coach in the CCHA
(he has a tremendous knack for making nothing out of something),
I've been trying to get under his skin for years.  I make sure to
heckle Pedrie a little more so than other visiting coaches, but
he never responds.  I'm willing to say Pedrie and professionalism
in the same sentence without a smirk.  In fact, Pedrie is good at
one-upping me by ignoring me and winking at my wife.  Gotta
appreciate that. :-)

Let the heckling continue...

John H (U Mich) [log in to unmask]