From:
Lincoln Grimes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lincoln Grimes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 1995 12:29:22 -0500
J.P. McKersie made his return to the ice at Walter Brown arena last
Saturday in the third period of the BU-Northeastern game.  With BU up by
six or seven goals, with about 10 minutes left in the game, Coach Parker
pulled sophomore keeper Tom Noble and J.P skated out on the ice for the
first time in a game since the NCAA championship game in 1994.  For those
who don't know, J.P. got was in a horrible accident in the summer of 1994
when a car hit him while he was riding his bike.  He was in a coma for a
while and it took awhile before he could even walk, and many people
feared brain damage.  He defied the odds and made a successful comeback,
returning to the ice Saturday night.  Needless to say, the crowd went crazy,
giving him a standing ovation for a few minutes.  Given the tragic accident
to Travis Roy, and J.P.'s long and amazing rehab, the moment was very
special for everyone in attendance.
The place was louder when J.P. skated out than when we had hung the
championship banner a few weeks ago.  Personally, I felt chills when I
saw him out there in goal.  And true to storybook form, Northeastern
couldn't score on him.  Granted, Northeastern wasn't playing very well,
and only managed a few shots, but J.P. looked very active and seemed
quick enough with the glove and the stick.  I don't know where he will
fit into the rotation, but I think he is BU's number 3 goalie for now.

                                Go BU! 1995 NCAA champions!

                                        -Lincoln Grimes
                                        BU senior