From:
Alan Harder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan Harder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 1995 09:12:54 -0500

 > I dunno, if I was attending Michigan and we were playing Maine at
 > an arena that seats 20,000, I'd definitely go.. If you're a good
 > fan, you'd much rather be there than watch it on TV.. 32 of the 36
 > regular season Minnesota Gopher games are broadcast on MSC, but
 > whenever I can, I get to those games (tickets are hard to come by
 > though).. When it's easier to get tickets (vs. Wisc at Target
 > Center) I go there rather than watch it on TV.  While TV does
 > affect attendence somewhat, does it affect it to the point that the
 > game only drew just under 5,000 fans?  Or could it be because the
 > game was on a Thursday night?  Or maybe not as many people cared
 > about the game?

In this case, I think that it was more the logistics of actually
getting to the game.  Tickets were obviously easy to come by.  But for
the average student without a car, Auburn Hills is a loooong way away
from Ann Arbor.

I don't think that the average Michigan fan around the state is very
interested in Michigan hockey, other than the students and other
people who live in or near Ann Arbor.  Basketball and football seem to
be much more important to most UM fans.  I live very near Ann Arbor,
though, and am able to attend some games.  It was actually attending
games that got me interested in Michigan hockey, because it really
isn't hyped by the media around here.

-Alan Harder