From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 1995 00:34:00 -0100
This is an administrative message.  I wish to clarify the issue of
moderation of the College Hockey Lists; specifically, INFO-HOCKEY-L.

All first posts to INFO-HOCKEY-L are moderated.  (Also true for HOCKEY-L.)
This means that they are automatically forwarded to me for approval, and
then at the time that I decide to approve, I also decide whether or not to
enable posting (turn off moderation) for the person.

Partly because INFO-HOCKEY-L is a new list and the changes surrounding the
College Hockey Lists may still be confusing to some people, things have
been set up such that by default, you are moderated when you subscribed.
I'd like to make sure that people who post to the list know what they are
doing.  Once I receive a request for approval from LISTSERV and I "ok" it,
I also turn off moderation for that person.  This means that most people on
INFO-HOCKEY-L still need to have their posts reviewed because they have not
yet posted to it, even though they may have been on HOCKEY-L for a while.
(Moderation for that person or the entire list can also be turned on again
later if problems arise.  I do not *expect* to have to do this.)

However, while waiting for your post to be approved, you should not then
send it to another list to which you are able to post without needing to be
approved.  This defeats the purpose of both moderation and splitting the
lists.

Among other things, moderation in this manner enables us to catch first
time posts by people who are subscribed (or not) and who may be sending
garbage to the list.  A perfect example is the fact that we've already
caught several spams and "subscribe" messages that we did not approve and
that you did not have to see, unlike in the past.  This was a major concern
of people during the discussion about how to improve the lists.

So, if you are waiting for a post of yours to be approved, I ask you to be
patient.  Thanks for your consideration.  Feel free to drop me a line if
you have any concerns or thoughts on this issue.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93
***** Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page under construction at:  *****