From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 1995 13:47:00 EDT
NEXT STOP ON THE HOBEY BAKER TOUR: PARMA OH
by John Haeussler

Question: How many Hobey Baker Memorial Award winners has
Parma, Ohio produced?  Answer: Zero, but ask again in a
few weeks...the answer may soon change.

In 1991, a young center strode out of Parma and settled
100 miles West at Bowling Green State University.  Today,
with a new coach and youthful supporting cast, he has
captained the BGSU Falcons back into college hockey's
national spotlight.  His name is Brian Holzinger.

Prior to this season, Holzinger's tenure at BGSU had
witnessed far less success than what was customary at one
of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association's strongest
programs.  The Falcons claimed the 1984 NCAA title and by
1990 had strung together four consecutive NCAA tournament
appearances.  The following year, BGSU's winning
percentage dipped below .500 for the first time in a
decade.

Individually, Brian enjoyed a promising freshman campaign
in 1991-92 with 14 goals and a one-time selection as the
CCHA Player-of-the-Week.  He also helped Team USA to a
bronze medal in the World Junior Championships over the
Christmas holiday.  But the Falcons were abysmal,
finishing dead last in the conference and missing the
CCHA playoffs for the first time ever.

In his sophomore season, there were improvements in all
areas.  The Falcons shutout Miami, handing the champion
Redskins one of only three conference defeats as
Holzinger captured CCHA Offensive Player-of-the-Week
honors.  In the CCHA playoffs, BGSU swept Western
Michigan on the road in the first round to advance to the
quarterfinals at Joe Louis Arena.  Brian exploded
offensively, leading the team in goals (31) and points
(57).  He was named Second Team All-CCHA, finishing
fourth in the voting among forwards.  He was a First Team
selection to the CCHA All-Academic squad, majoring in
Business Management Information Systems.

By the summer of 1993, everything seemed rosy.  The
Falcons were on the rise and Brian was a candidate for
the 1994 US Olympic Team.  Then, in mid-August, Brian
lived the bitter disappointment of being one of the last
players cut from Team USA.  The sun shined in Northwest
Ohio though, as BGSU would have the services of their top
two forwards, Holzinger and Sean Pronger, the latter
failing in a bid to make the Canadian Olympic squad.

Unfortunately, both Holzinger and the Falcons went
through the 1993-94 season in neutral.  Bowling Green
moved up one place in the CCHA standings but again fell
in the post-season quarterfinals.  Brian led the club in
goals (22) and tied for the lead in points (37), both
numbers representing a step backward for a player
considered by many to be a top Hobey Baker candidate
entering the season.

"It's always been a dream of mine to play for the Olympic
team.  To get so far and not make it was a real
disappointment.  I think that had a little effect on the
following season.  I was questioning myself as a player
and that had something to do with my off year."

Although he wasn't awarded for his play on the ice, to
his credit, Holzinger was named CCHA First Team All-
Academic for the second consecutive year.

Fast forward to 1994-95 and the future is once again
bright.  Buddy Powers, a former BGSU assistant and head
man at RPI has taken the coaching reigns from Jerry York.
The Falcons are near the top of the CCHA standings and
Holzinger is the nation's leading scorer.  Bowling Green
is a strong candidate for their first NCAA tournament
invitation in five years.  Most notably, their offensive
output has improved from 30th in the nation last season
to 3rd, an increase of over 1.5 goals per game.
Holzinger is quick to credit his teammates.

"A lot of players have stepped up their game from the
previous year.  We had a lot of young guys last year.
They worked hard in the weight room in the off-season and
as a result have really picked up their play."

What about the new head coach?  He appears to have lit a
fire under the Falcon squad, often labeled sluggish in
the final years of the York regime.

"Buddy is a real demanding coach.  He expects nothing but
the best from his players, in practice and games.
Everyone knows that if they don't give 100% in practice
they're not going to be in the line-up that weekend, so
he creates a competitive atmosphere throughout our club."

Lost in the hoopla surrounding Powers return and Brian's
play is the contribution of first year assistant coach
Brian Hills.  Lost on the general public, but not on
Holzinger, who calls Hills "an all-around help to the
forwards."

"He was a great player at Bowling Green and he brings a
lot of skills and talents that he can teach us.  He helps
the forwards tremendously as far as shooting the puck,
handling the puck and where to go in certain situations."

While Holzinger is busy passing out compliments, he is
being praised by others.

"He raises the level of play of the whole team," says
Hills.  "You won't meet a finer individual in college
hockey.  He personifies what the Hobey Baker Award is
about.  He's a good player, student and sportsman.  He
plays the game fair and he plays it hard.  He's
electrifying, and I've yet to see a better player in
college hockey this year than Brian Holzinger."

University of Michigan head coach Red Berenson adds,
"He's one of the elite players in college hockey this
year.  I'm glad he stayed (in school, rather than opt for
the pros early), and he's finishing out the way he
should, in grand style.  He's a skilled player, he works
hard and plays the game at both ends.  He's one of my
favorite players."

Holzinger claimed 1994-95's first CCHA Offensive Player-
of-the-Week honor and has yet to let up.  In late
December, Brian was named Most Valuable Player of the
Bank One Badger Showdown in Milwaukee with eight points
(five goals) in two games.  His assault has not been
confined to the United States, either.  In Toronto over
Thanksgiving, Holzinger led BGSU to a pair of victories
and was named MVP of the Cross/Border Challenge.  Being
exhibitions, Brian's seven points (three goals) in two
games are not included in his already impressive scoring
totals.

Although Holzinger's offensive numbers garner plenty of
attention, don't think of characterizing him as a one-
dimensional player.  He's a regular on penalty kills, a
demon on faceoffs, and knows how to handle himself in the
defensive zone.

"He's the guy that we go to (on faceoffs) when games are
close," says head coach Buddy Powers.  "His line is the
one we turn to late in the game (to protect a lead), even
though they're our top offensive line as well.  On
penalty killing, he's one of the first guys over the
boards.  We've used him in all aspects of the game."

So, what does the future hold?  Obviously, Brian and the
Falcons are preparing for a run at the CCHA and NCAA
titles.  Following that, he looks forward to next
season's camp with the NHL's Buffalo Sabres, who drafted
him in the 6th round in 1991.

There's also this little thing called the Hobey Baker
Award.  Bowling Green's George McPhee was the recipient
in 1982.  Has McPhee, currently the Director of Hockey
Operations for the NHL's Vancouver Canucks, given Brian
any words of wisdom?

"I've talked to George.  It's just 'How are you doing?',
the basic conversation.  We never really talk about that
(the Hobey)."

It's easy to see that Brian prefers to discuss the team's
success rather than his chances for the Hobey.  But, if
he were to win it, who would he tell first?

"My parents.  They've been a great influence throughout
my life.  They've given me tremendous support."

My recommendation to Harry and Peggy Holzinger is, if you
cannot be in Providence on March 31st (when the Hobey
will be presented), stay close to the phone in Parma.
Very close.  And never stray too far.  Brian's younger
brother, Brad, is a freshman forward at Bowling Green and
he may ring a few times before his collegiate career is
over.

            --------------------

With 29-30--59 in 29 games, Bowling Green senior center
Brian Holzinger is the CCHA's leading Hobey Baker
candidate.  Here's a glance at other CCHA hopefuls:

Anson Carter/JR/C/Michigan State (27-13--40 in 29 games).
Considered by many to be the most exciting player in the
CCHA.  Leads the conference in both power play (13) and
short-handed (7) goals and is the only returning member
of the First Team All-CCHA squad.

Mike Knuble/SR/RW/Michigan (23-15--38 in 23 games).  At
6-2, 224, Knuble does what he wants to on the ice.
Injuries slowed the start of his season, but he's
maintained a goal a game pace and is the CCHA's best NHL
prospect.

Brendan Morrison/SO/C/Michigan (16-36--52 in 28 games).
Has already eclipsed 100 career points and should
challenge the school scoring record.  Is the only player
in sight of Holzinger in the scoring race.  This year may
be a bit premature, but Morrison will be among the Hobey
favorites in 1996.

Rem Murray/SR/LW/Michigan State (15-28--43 in 29 games).
Captain of the Spartans and a solid two-way player.  Will
pass the 50-point plateau for the fourth consecutive
season and has provided leadership throughout his career.

Kelly Perrault/SO/D/Bowling Green (11-28--39 in 28
games).  A powerful offensive defenseman who's willing to
butt heads at both ends of the ice.  Possesses one of the
best shots in college hockey.

Charles Thuss/SR/G/Miami (13-6-5, 2.67, 90.7 in 26
games).  In his first season of varsity play, Thuss has
been the biggest surprise in the country.  He leads the
conference in goals against average and save percentage,
and has carried the low-scoring Redskins to a place among
the CCHA elite.

[Notes]
BRIAN HOLZINGER year-by-year
YEAR       GM   G   A  PTS  PIM
1991-92    30  14   8   22   36
1992-93    41  31  26   57   44
1993-94    38  22  15   37   24
1994-95    29  29  30   59   24
TOTAL     138  96  79  175  128

all stats through February 16th
[end article]

The above article (or a similar form thereof) appeared in
BLUE ICE and US COLLEGE HOCKEY MAGAZINE.

John Haeussler
Univ of Michigan