From:
lesley bricker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
lesley bricker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 23:36:05 -0500
  Regarding Mike's question about how BG would be without Brian
Holzinger.The Falcons would still be a good team with a dangerous
offense,but they wouldn't be anywhere near as dangerous as they are
now.Most of the teams that BG plays against set their strategy around
Holzinger.The teams used to feel that if they shut down Holzinger that
they would shut down the whole team.Last year,this was quite true as
former coach Jerry York set his strategy to always be centered around
Brian.All of the other players felt as though they always had to get the
puck to Brian and they weren't supposed to try and do anything
themselves.This year,the guys are free to do what they can with the
puck.Sure, a lot of the players like to give the puck to Brian whenever
they get the chance because he can make something out of nothing.But if
Zinger isn't on the ice or he isn't open to pass to,there are plenty of
guys on the team that can score.So now when teams center on Zinger,other
guys like Curtis Fry,Brett Punchard,Mike Hall and Mike Johnson can
compensate for Holzinger being shut down.But I feel most of the guys are
so good because they are confident with Brian on the team.They look to
him for leadership and a strong mind in clutch situations that otherwise
might not be there if Brian wasn't here.He gives so much to the team.I'm
worried but at the same time interested to see the team next year when
Brian is gone.On the one hand I'm afraid that BG won't have a successful
season but on the other hand I feel reassured that the loss won't be so
bad as the other guys on the team have learned to play their own game and
not have to rely on just one person.There are so many threats on the BG
team.I think Curtis Fry will take over the spot that Zinger leaves
behind.Curtis will never be as good as Brian,but I feel that he will be
able to step in and give the same type of leadership and confidence that
Brian gives(Fry is one of the teams captains and is only a sophomore!!).I
also think that Brian's little brother Brad will step out of Brian's
shadow and show everybody what he can do.I feel bad for Brian as he
hasn't been able to be on a championship team here at BG,but I think it
would be made up to him when they make it to the NCAA tournament!!

Holzinger for Hobey Baker!!!!