From:
Gerald Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 15:21:09 -0500
I don't believe that being the league's (CCHA) leading scorer necessarily
makes you the 'best' in the league.  Infact, if you really sit down and look
at Brian Holizinger's stats versus is closest competion you notice that while
he may score quite a few goals and gain many assists, he is also on the ice
when his 'line' gives up goals.  Here's the analysis:

Holzinger has 41 points, but only has a +/- of +5, which is pretty poor given
how many points he has. I feel this shows that he may be in the right place
at the right time to create or convert scoring opportunities, but he is also
there when a great deal of mistakes are made and goals are scored by his
opponents.

The next two highest point holders in the CCHA (Morrision and Hilton from
Michigan) each have 40 points and 33 respectively and a +/- of +14 and +16.

This great +/- total goes a long way in showing that yes Brian Holzinger is a
good point generator, but he is NOT the 'best' college hockey player this
year.  In fact, I think an arguement could be made for Brendon Morrison of
Michigan (who trails Holzinger by only one point, but has a much higher +/-)
before one would start considering Brian Holzinger.

  Just my $.02           Jerry.