From:
Chris Paine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Paine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 1994 10:44:18 EST
    Well, here's my 2 cents on the West Regionals:
1)  I wish I didn't have to miss the final game last night.  It sounded like an
exciting one to watch from a neutral standpoint (which I would have had).  But,
I got home at midnight as it was-- I can't imagine how bad I'd feel if I were
in East Lansing another 4-5 hours before making that 7-hour ride back.
2)  I didn't see that Northeastern goal as clearly in, nor did I see a replay
which showed it (Lansing TV stations showed one from a worse angle than mine),
but I won't argue that it did not go in.
3)  Ironically, each loser on Saturday outplayed the winner.  I didn't think
MSU could play that well-- they could even hit passes.  It came down to losing
because of a stupid penalty by Perreault, Buzak's fall (what he was trying to
do, I don't know), and his poor clear that led to another Lowell goal.  I do
give Lowell much credit for capitalizing on those errors while the Spartans
and their lame power play failed to make the Chiefs pay for their mistakes.
4)   Was it my imagination, or were the refs for the second game Saturday/
first game Sunday (same crew) pathetic?  They missed an obvious icing call
late in the MSU-Lowell game, while the Spartans had 6 skaters, that could have
led to a scoring chance if called (though Roloson probably would have stoned
State again).  And Sunday, they were even worse.  That delay of game on Lacher
was a joke-- what is a goalie supposed to do when he has two opponents and no
teammates barreling down at him.  It's not as if he shot the puck in the crowd.
And two Laker penalties were ridiculous-- the one on #13 (I think), who came
from behind a Wolverine and knocked the puck away with his stick, resulting
in tripping (when he clearly hit the puck-- seemed like a case of the ref
anticipating the action, like a "phantom foul" in basketball).  His good de-
fense wound up costing the Lakers when Michigan scored in 3 seconds.  And the
only call of the 3rd was a joke-- Miller got a holding when a Michigan player
grabbed him in the middle of the ice and rode him all the way into the boards
on the side-- how that was holding on Miller, I don't have a clue.  I won't go
into the stuff that happened when they swallowed the whistle since the list has
seen that debate before.
5)   I was surprised at the intensity of the State fans.  They actually cheered
most of the game.  Our band should have played "Anchors Aweigh" at least once
for the Lakers, though.  I suspect the Laker band caught everyone off guard
with their rendition of the Spartan fight song.  (They played it well, too.)
I heard that this was the talk of the Munn maintenance crew.  I guess all the
bad blood from the Anzalone era (like Mason's "if he grabs your stick, punch
him" line) is gone.  Nice to see, too.
6)   One possible explanation for the lack of crowd at the late game yesterday
is the driving factor.  Most Laker fans probably had to work today, and they
had at least four good hours of driving to get home.  And I doubt many Michigan
fans were in a mood to stay (I sure wouldn't have been if in their situation!).
I wish I could have stayed, but that proved to be unrealistic.  Many others not
from the southern part of Michigan must have felt the same.
7)   I don't think that Lacher let the one in the Michigan game by.  Much of
him was in the net, but not the glove, I thought.  And I had a decent angle on
the play.  I'm not sure if Roloson smothered one in the net against MSU (I
heard a rumor that someone on Lowell admitted it), but I don't think that
detracted from Lowell's win, especially not when State was 1-9 (or so) with the
extra man, including nothing with a 5-on-3.
8)   I'd say the NC$$ has to be pleased with the way the West Regional turned
out-- it was much more enthusiastic than the games I attended in Detroit a
couple years back.  I'm sure Madison will prove to be at least as good a host.
9)   About the parking ticket-- what trip to East Lansing would be complete
without one?  Seriously, campus safety isn't called DPS for nothing-- it of
course stands for "Don't Park at State!"  Perhaps an appeal is in order-- I
know someone who actually had one granted.
10)  I hope the Final 4 can match the excitement and tension of the weekend.
It could help attract some new fans.  (Moving it off the basketball weekend
seems to be the obvious solution-- don't know which direction to move it, but
please do!  There's just too much college basketball on, with the men and the
women.)

--Chris Paine,
proud of State's effort and looking ahead to '94-'95

P. S.  I can see why Roloson was the HE Player of the Year-- I haven't seen a
goalie that good in a while.