Sender:
From:
"Brian Cavanaugh @ Koessler Athletics" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1993 12:38:38 -0500
IMHO:
There are enough rules in college hockey - its finding
the officials who know them AND.... have some feel for the
game.  The rules for Hockey USA are fine for them - lets not
copy the rules a Pee Wee plays nor should we copy the rules
that an Adult ( over 35) league plays. I play in an "adult"
league that has a 3 penalty limit and its good for us old
guys because it keeps a guy from being a nut the whole game.
I also think the pro rules - are for them - entertainment.

The rules for college hockey are discussed every year by
the convention of college coaches (over 250 members)
at the annual meeting.  From this meeting - recommendations
are taken to the annual NCAA rules meeting and voted on
by a committee of people.

You would be suprised by the rules discussions by coaches.
But, in most cases they look at how to make the college
game faster and safer (and different) from the pro's.
The thing that's interesting is how the college game is
perceived by conference - the EAST vs WEST .
How the CCHA, WCHA, ECAC D-I and HockeyEAST feel the
rules should be.

The division one coaches discuss the rules as only how
it affects their players at THEIR level.  When I  watch
a D- I game on PASS or PRIME you see a lot tougher/
harder hitting/ more let go/ game then you do at D-III,
for the most part.  Also, the CCHA and the WCHA - there's
a lot more "toughness".  Would'nt you agree.  I am not
saying that EASTERN hockey is'nt top notch - just a
different style.  Maine might be an exception - Why ?
Coach Walsh knows to win it all - (he was at Mich St.),
you eventually are going to have to beat the CCHA/WCHA.

As I said - the rules are already there - you have to
find officials who know COLLEGE RULES and have a
FEEL for EACH game they officiate.

Some officials ref so much hockey - AHAUS, High SCHOOL,
SENIORS, - and college - some even do lines for AHL
games - these guys
are probably confused as to which rules are for what
level.  They also struggle with the other factors
that come into play  tempo, age difference, etc.
I saw a ref do a D-I college game one night and did
a great job - the next night he was doing a "club"
high school game - he acted liked he did'nt want to
be there.

Brian Cavanaugh
Cavanaugh @ Canisius