Sender:
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 06:57:35 PDT
From:
George Downing <[log in to unmask]>
Responding to several thoughts at once:

----------
> --- On Thu, 28 May 98 07:23:44 -0500  Kepler <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
> >> Is there some loophole that I don't know about?  I always thought
> >> that "once a professional, always a professional" was the policy of
> >> the  NC$$, and the WHL was considered pro.

The NC$$ considers major junior similar to a year or two of prep school following high school. I think you'll find that a lot of players on current DI rosters played on major junior teams and then came to college at age 20. (Mark Mowers of UNH did this, I know UNH has had others recently.)

> > The easiest way to put this is that some juniors players are pro,
> > but most are amateur.  A few juniors players have signed pro
> > contracts but are held in the juniors for seasoning --

Basically, the pros in major junior are players that were drafted by the NHL, and signed; but in training camp the coach and/or GM decides they need another year of "conditioning" (usually, more size) and are sent back to their major junior team. The major junior teams don't pay their players. (see below.)

> > system.  But for the most part, the compensation which the
> > juniors players receive is no more "professional" than are the
> > athletic scholarships given by many colleges.

Basically, Major junior players receive room and board money. While they can skimp on road meals and save a little money, what they get is not, apparently, considered "compensation," at least in the terms of pay-for-play. As Ralph points out, it is the NC$$ and doesn't necessarily have to be logical. An interesting side point - baseball draftees often do sign some kind of minor league pro deal with MLB clubs that sign them, and still play college ball; in fact, the professional team sometimes picks up some of their tuition. And some of us complain about college being used as a minor league hockey league....

George Downing
UNH '92