Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 91 12:42:15 EST
    It was only a matter of time.  Merrimack College has landed a real
    blue-chip player who will enroll this fall - and he's a local kid, too.
    Matt Adams, of nearby Andover, MA, was one of the Northeast's very best
    high school players who competed at the Hockey Night in Boston tourney
    last weekend held at Merrimack.  In four games against the best of the
    best, Adams racked up an incredible six goals and ten assists for 16
    points.  That shattered the old tourney record, held by none other than
    one Shawn McEachern. (!!)  Adams was named MVP of the tournament which
    included players from all around New England and New York.

    Adams scored nearly 90 points this year in 26 games for Pingree Academy,
    which had two players picked in the 1990 NHL draft.  Merrimack head
    coach Ron Anderson and assistant Stu Irving were on hand to see Adams,
    and they were reportedly very pleased.  (Who wouldn't be?)  Adams said
    he was really looking forward to playing for Anderson.  He was pursued
    heavily by BU before verbally committing to Merrimack (signing period
    isn't until April), which is about 10 minutes from his home.

    This is highway robbery for Merrimack, to get a local kid of this caliber -
    and to steal him from BU.  I'm sure you'll all remember me saying it would
    just be a matter of time at Merrimack, and things appear to be progressing
    very well.  Does anyone have a time machine so I can jump ahead to this
    fall, once the NCAA championship is over?  (read: I can't wait until next
    season!)

    - mike