From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 00:06:43 -0100
At 5:41 PM 2/21/96, Keith Instone wrote:
>>if the season ended today, one could probably make a case for
>>the second seed in the east (and thus the 4th bye) to go to a western
>>team.
>>
>>Is there a precedent for that to happen?  Is there a restriction?
>
>No precedent.

An argument could be made that a sort of precedent does exist...i.e. 1994=
 when some teams that crossed over, like Lowell, were re-seeded higher than=
 teams that stayed in their region, like LSSU and MSU.  It isn't that much=
 of a stretch to take a crossover team and re-seed them high enough so that=
 they get a bye, i.e. 2nd East.  I think that would happen if the season=
 ended today (looking at the pairwise rankings).

>There's only one way to find out: ask the committee members.

Very true...assuming that *they* even know right now what they will do.