Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1992 01:05:50 EST
Wild night in Hockey East.

BU 4, at Maine 4 (ot)
  BU bounces back from a 4-0 deficit.
UMass-Lowell 5, at UNH 5 (ot)
  Only third game at Lively Snively this year that UNH hasn't won (losses
  to UAA and Clarkson).  Hopefully 4th will be Saturday. :-)
Providence 7, at Merrimack 0
  Extra point is GOOD!
Kent 4, at Boston College 3
  Kent wins first-ever meeting between the two schools and is one of only
  10 current DivI schools to have an all-time winning record against BC.
  Others are UAA, BU, Clarkson, Cornell, Denver, Michigan, MSU, Minnesota,
  and North Dakota.

PC SID Tim Connor was telling me that Providence has been awarded the 1995
Final Four.  I asked him how Providence got the East regional this year, and
he said that they had gone out to bid on the 1995 championship when they were
also asked if they wanted to host the 1992 East regional.

The Civic Center in Providence seats about 12,000.  Tim said ticket sales are
steady but slow, and he expects it to pick up when people find out who will
be there.  So if you want to go, you can get tickets now and expect to get
VERY good seats to see six of the top teams in the country.  I hope people
in the East, particularly New England, will get out and support the regional
so our area will be considered for future tournaments.  You can probably count
on Maine being there, along with the other top 3 seeds in the East.  If PC
gets seeded in the top 4, tickets will go in a hurry, and since there is a
good chance of this happening, I'd try to get tickets as soon as possible.

I posted this before, but ticket information is available from the PC ticket
office at 401-331-6700, or the Civic Center at 401-865-2271.  Call the Civic
Center for group rates.  Two day packages are $30 for 4 games, 5 & 8 pm on
Thur Mar 26 and same times on Sat Mar 28.  You can charge tickets by Ticket-
Master at 1-800-382-8080 (but be aware there are over-the-phone charges).
Remember there are no consolations; every game is important - someone will
go on, and someone will go home.  The two winners on Sat Mar 28th go on to
the NC$$ Final Four in Albany.

Tim also said it is likely there will be some type of national tv coverage
for the East regional, probably cable.  I hope the same will be true for the
West regional.  Can you say 8 games in 4 days?

As I had figured, the Maine-PC game at the Civic Center on 1/25 was a tuneup
for the regional since the Civic Center doesn't host hockey very often.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   mikem@{beanpot,bubba}.ma30.bull.com