MEINFO-L Archives

MEINFO-L - Maine State Library Announcements and Information List

MEINFO-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wood, Ellen" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wood, Ellen
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2013 11:32:08 +0000
Maine State library (http://www.maine.gov/msl/)

After a soft launch last week all dynamic MSL web pages, which needed some individual hands-on for their search feature, should now be working. Google, Bing and other search engines,  as of yesterday, indexed the new pages and are showing the right results...but also showing some of the old URLs - this will improve as the new pages have more "hits."

With this new look and some navigation changes  we want to be sure you can find pages that were moved in the librarian section.  (the "Libraries" tab at top - http://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/) - key tab and page! Popular pages (urls did not change) like Interlibrary loan, jobs, directories and listservs moved to the top in the left navigation with the rest grouped around more meaningful categories like library administration,  patron services and more. All BTOP resources are now under Digital Learning's two areas of "Learning" - resources right from the Digital Commons layout and "Teaching" - BTOP resources for librarians.

Best - the new design uses a responsive design template which allows the site to work well on smart phones, tablets, etc. I'm still working my way through all pages to be sure the smartphone styles are displaying content correctly and hiding elements not useful on a phone. This last tweaking is  manual and I still need to deal with large "tables".  Please try the MSL website on smartphones and let me know if any problems. (http://www.maine.gov/msl/).

How to find what you want?

1.       Use the mini search box in the upper right of each page OR use Google with your search terms and include "Maine State Library" if you are not on the MSL site.

2.       Use the mini sitemap on the bottom of each page - right column has the most popular Librarian pages including a link to a page with all our forms for librarians.

3.       Use the new orange "Ask Us" button on the left side of each page. On the Ask Us page you will find hours and location information and a new 4 tabbed box. The last tab "A-Z index" is a new page of all pages by subject. Some subjects are in twice as I added a page by different names that  I thought you might call that subject.

4.       Use the orange Ask Us button to quickly ask for help finding a page - Use the Feedback tab that comes to me and one of the reference staff. Also use the Ask Questions to go to our MSL reference staff to help you with reference questions, finding information on Maine.Gov for patrons and more!

5.       And don't forget to email or call your district consultants for help with questions, concerns, policies, trustee issues, etc.  relating to your library or libraries in general. Find their information at http://www.maine.gov/msl/libs/districts/.
Use the drop-down menu at the top of this page to find consultant services and excellent resources they put together. Bookmark the consultants' page.
Thanks for your patience!
-Ellen

Ellen Wood
Web Coordinator/Special Projects