MEINFO-L Archives

MEINFO-L - Maine State Library Announcements and Information List

MEINFO-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"McKenney, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McKenney, Janet
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2012 21:44:53 +0000
What is Digital Literacy?
Digital Literacy is the ability to use information and communication technologies to find, evaluate, create, and communicate information, requiring both cognitive and technical skills.
What does a Digitally Literate Person need to know to successfully navigate our ever-growing online world in the workforce and everyday life?

Come join us to discuss digital literacy and public libraries!

There is an emerging need for digital literacy in communities across the United States.
As we wind down the BTOP grant here in Maine, nationally the FCC, Chief Officers of State Library Agencies (COSLA), the Gates Foundation, ALA, and PLA are gearing up to face this challenge.  In March 2013, there will be a major advertising push by the FCC sending people to public libraries to improve their digital literacy skills and enroll in courses.  We want libraries to be aware of this national campaign, and the map and database that will be promoted.
The Maine State Library (MSL) is convening regional meetings throughout late November and early December to inform all public libraries about digital literacy, what it is, what other libraries and states are doing, what the FCC is planning, and national plans for support.
The MSL wants feedback from public libraries about what they are currently doing, what plans they may have in the future and what the Maine State Library can do to support state and local efforts.
The 11 regional meetings are listed below and you can register on the calendar.
http://evanced.info/maine/evanced/eventcalendar.asp?libnum=0

We encourage all libraries to attend to learn about digital literacy and to discuss the role of public libraries in this effort.
November 28: Mark & Emily Turner Public Library from 9 a.m. -12 noon
November 30: Portland Public Library from   1 p.m. - 4p.m.
December 3:  Limerick Public Library from 9 a.m. - 12 noon
December 4:   Bangor Public Library from 1 p.m. - 4p.m.
December 5: South Berwick Public Library from 9 a.m. - 12 noon
December 7: Rockland Public Library from 9 a.m. - 12 noon
December 10: Ellsworth Public Library from 1 p.m. - 4p.m.
December 11: Topsham Public Library from 1 p.m. - 4p.m.
December 12: Farmington Public Library from 1 p.m. - 4p.m.
December 18: Waterville Public Library from 1 p.m. - 4p.m.
December 19: Paris Public Library from 1 p.m. - 4p.m.

If you have any questions about workshops, contact me, Jared Leadbetter or your district consultant.
We look forward to seeing you at a workshop in your area!

Janet

Janet McKenney
Director of Library Development
Maine State Library