Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 2022 12:10:59 -0400
Sender:
From:
Holly Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Hello friends!

At the Maine Libraries Conference, I had the great fortune to be part of
one of these Librarian--Maine ED 2050 discussions, and I'm hoping those of
you who did not participate would like to!

Here are the basics: A group of librarians (any and all types) have a
conversation with the Education Action Forum of Maine facilitating. This
conversation is recorded through Cortico's Local Voices Network .

There are three main purposes for this conversation:

   1.

   First, we want to create a new way for Mainers to listen and learn about
   each other’s experiences, values, and perspectives, especially around
   education.
   2.

   Second, we want to gather voices from around the state to inform the
   direction of Maine’s educational system. We have conversations for
   community members, educators, youth, and people in major Maine industries.
   3.

   Third, we want to create a unique listening channel through which we
   will lift up the voices and needs of the whole state, every county, in
   order to build a healthier public sphere, and education is a critical part
   of that.

But here's my take on it and why I loved it so much and want more
librarians to participate. For our conversation, LVN wants to know what
students today would need in order to become a successful librarian in
2050. And what will our  profession even look like then? What do we think a
successful librarian looks like now? The conversation I took part in was
enlightening and fun and made me want to know the people I talked with even
more. In other words, it was fantastic.

And just so you know, when they record the zoom video, they strip the video
portion afterwards and just keep the audio. They instruct you to just use
your first name and try not to use any specific places if you want to be as
private as possible.

Now that you've heard my spiel, please respond off-list if you'd like to
participate and if there's a better time of day or evening to do so. I
can't guarantee anything, but we'll try our best to have more people join
in. (And no, I'm not doing a Google poll because I just want a basic idea
to pass onto the Maine ED folks.)

Thanks for listening, and I hope you participate!

--
*Holly Williams*
Library Director