From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2010 19:15:35 -0400
My thought when I saw it was that they decided to save three flights, by
keeping UNH and Yale in the East and sending Northern Michigan to St. Paul
(which falls just under the 400 mile limit, if Google Maps is to be
believed). Had they left the #3 seeds in bracket order, there would have
been four flights. Now there is only one.

On the #1 line, they saved a flight by sending Denver to Albany and
Wisconsin to St. Paul. Denver was flying anyways, but Wisconsin would have
had to fly to Albany or Worcester.

On the #2 line, one of the Western teams was going to fly, it was just a
question of who. Sending UND out to Worcester kept the bracket intact.

On the #4 line, 15 and 16 had to be kept with the #1 and #2 overall seeds.
The cheapest combination of them happened to work out (RIT to Albany, UAH to
Ft. Wayne). Vermont had to go to St. Paul, because leaving them in Worcester
would have created an all-HEA first round matchup.

John

--
John Edwards
"You can insure against the weather, but you can't insure against