From:
Joe Makowiec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:19:27 -0400
At 4-2-2009 11:32 AM, Mark Lewin wrote:
>Splitting the ECAC into an Ivy and non-Ivy conference has been discussed
>before.  I think that the Ivy league considers itself an elite organization
>and is closed to the rest of us mortals.  The Ivy league also puts
>restrictions on its member schools such as prohibition of athletic
>scholarships and a limit (lower than NCAA) on the number of games allowed.
>Not sure if other schools would be willing to submit themselves to those
>restrictions.

I seem to recall that at one point Colgate may have been a candidate
for the Ivy League, which stripped of its mythos is just an athletic
conference.  But (and memory dims after a while), I also STR that one
of the issues was (lack of) a football stadium of sufficient capacity.

>There was the old saying back in the 70's and 80's that the Ivy League
>wouldn't condescend to paying athletic scholarships but gave money based
>only on "need". But, if Bill Cleary (then Harvard coach)  "needed" a
>goalie.....

Kinda like Union.  No athletic scholarships - mostly D-III, so can't;
they decided that even D-I hockey would get no money.  But, wonder of
wonders, they have a pot of money for campus diversity.  Seems that
there's a shortage on campus of Francophones with left-handed slapshots...

Joe
--
Joe Makowiec can be reached at:
http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe