From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:57:08 -0400
Frankly, when it comes to the service academies, I prefer the philosophy
that we accommodate them in college athletics by inviting them to
compete where their typical competition level alone may not command a
sufficient draw, like when Notre Dame schedules Navy in football.
Distinguish that from putting service academies in situations where
pressure to stop looking like the doormat of their league could start
altering considerations for admissions or how students allocate their time.

While it may be "to each his own" in deciding what skills you admire
when you grab that radio to scream for air support, I'd rather have that
answered by a guy in the cockpit who didn't miss classes chasing after
his NCAA championship ring. Things that create conflicts between
education's primary purpose and less worthy considerations aren't so
crucial when they merely reduce the skill my self-serving Wall Street
jerk brings to the task of increasing my return. How service academies
spend their time has deeper implications. Notwithstanding Hobey Baker's
prowess as an aviator ('cept maybe on that one last flight), I'd like to
keep athletics an incidental and secondary function of the students in
service academies, structured in whatever way aids them in serving their
primary purpose. It's not a situation where the tail should be wagging
the dog. Their considerations aren't my alma mater's considerations.

Bob Griebel