From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 11:32:52 -0400
Splitting the ECAC into an Ivy and non-Ivy conference has been discussed
before.  I think that the Ivy league considers itself an elite organization
and is closed to the rest of us mortals.  The Ivy league also puts
restrictions on its member schools such as prohibition of athletic
scholarships and a limit (lower than NCAA) on the number of games allowed.
Not sure if other schools would be willing to submit themselves to those
restrictions.

There was the old saying back in the 70's and 80's that the Ivy League
wouldn't condescend to paying athletic scholarships but gave money based
only on "need". But, if Bill Cleary (then Harvard coach)  "needed" a
goalie.....