Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 08:33:57 -0400
Yes, it does not seem like a good idea on the AK end of the trip, thanks Tom
for helping me see this and leading me to a new approach.  On the other
hand, they gotta sleep somewhere.  :>)

A lexicographic ordered conference assignment algorithm has been posted on
this list.  With college budget cutting, it seems the Alpha Dog approach
might be dominated by a cost oriented conference assignment method.  Obtain
the lowest overall D1 travel cost using a Travel Cost Minimization
conference assignment algorithm for all eligible D1 teams.  There could be
constraints so that no teams play each other more than 4 times a season in
conference play and at least half of the games are at home.

If the result is terribly distasteful, then let league presidents make
trades at a cost of covering travel expenses beyond the minimum.  It might
even be beneficial to pay some eligible D1 teams to join another division,
such as D3.

Other than the known cases of possible cuts for next year, I wonder if
anyone has heard of significant changes like reduced number of games played,
etc. discussed by conferences/schools next year in D1 hockey to cut costs.

Did we all realize the unintended consequences of having to wait so long
between Regionals and Finals?