From:
"J. Michael Neal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 17:32:16 -0600
Charlie Shub wrote:
> my brother is in transit from here back to new york, so i've been
> watching denver TV for werather forcasts. Anyhow, they (the
> newscaster) are claiming the gophers ran goaltender fisher. From what
> i could see of the replay, it certainly seemed like the gopher player
> got checked into fisher by a denver defender. The penalties are
> reported as
> 	denver				minnesota
> 	5 fighting			5 fighting
> 	10 game misconduct		10 game misconduct
> 	2 roughing			2 roughing
> 	2 roughing			2 roughing
> 	2 roughing			2 roughing
> 	10 misconduct			10 misconduct
> 	2 slashing			5 charging
>
> the uscho game recap seems to confirm that o'brien was checked into
> fisher, but anderson did allot him a major for charging
>
> i wonder if the commissionar and supervisor of officials will be
> looking at the replays.

It definitely was not charging; O'Brien was definitely pushed between
the shoulder blades, and was off balance as he skidded into the crease.
However, he lined up his forearm and gave Fisher a pretty good shot; I
have no problem with giving him an elbowing penalty, and I could be
persuaded that it deserved a major.  The only truly ridiculous call was
the fighting major for Ben Gordon.  He did none of the things that would
merit one, and should have received only two minutes for roughing.  (Or
Unsportsmanlike Conduct, which seemed to be Anderson's call of choice.)
Testwuide, on the other hand, deserved five and a game DQ.