From:
Moller Edward N <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:22:55 -0500
From the Chronicle of Higher Education, November 26, 2006:

>The University of North Dakota may have won a temporary reprieve on the
use of its "Fighting Sioux" nickname in postseason tournaments, but the
athletics director at Dartmouth College is making it known that she
disagrees with that decision.  The director, Jo Ann (Josie) Harper, has
publicly apologized for inviting the team to participate in a hockey
tournament scheduled for next month, the Associated Press reported.  In
her apology, published in the college newspaper last week, Ms. Harper
said officials had not considered North Dakota's nickname when the
scheduling was done nearly two years ago.  "I deeply regret that we
didn't," she wrote.

>North Dakota is suing the NCAA over its restrictions on American Indian
nicknames and mascots that are considered offensive, and the university
recently won a legal order delaying enforcement of those rules until the
matter is decided in court.

I have stayed away from this conversation on this forum, but now I feel
compelled to write.  What on earth does Dartmouth have to apologize for?
Are they implying that they did something wrong by inviting NoDak to the
tournament?  If that is what they are implying, then will they hold that
standard up to all other institutions of higher learning when
considering intercollegiate competition?  Further, will they also apply
that standard when considering joint academic endeavors such as the
hiring of visiting faculty members?  What about transfer students?  Are
they saying that no UND underclassmen need apply?

Full disclosure:  I am left of center politically and a proud citizen of
Massachusetts, who tends to lean towards the removal of nicknames that
cross the boundaries of good taste (Redskin IMHO is racist; I'm pretty
sure that Fighting Sioux is over the line; I don't have a problem with
the use of a tribal name by itself).  But for Dartmouth to say that it
is holier than thou (regardless of having removed its Native American
nickname many years ago) opens up a Pandora's box.  As A BU fan whose
team will be playing in Hanover that week, I'm not so sure that I would
want to be a part of their tournament.

________
Edward N. Moller
Controller and Assistant Treasurer
Mount Ida College
777 Dedham Street
Newton, MA  02459-3323
Tel  617-928-4515
Fax 617-928-4581

Mount Ida College provides a diverse community of learners a challenging
education that blends the liberal arts with professional preparation.
We dedicate our energy, imagination, and resources to empowering all
students to achieve academically and contribute responsibly in a
changing world.