From:
"Eric J. Burton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 13:36:21 -0600
First off I think people are being a little hyper sensitive, and looking
into things too deeply, then inventing things to be there when they are not.
It usually happens when your team gets bounced from the tourney. I also
listened to on the pond and couldn't believe some of the crap that came out
of the Gopher fans mouth as they made excuses for their teams demise. I
heard excuses about the Ice, the officials and the coach as well as goal
tending. How about your team just didn't arise to the task. Its part of
sports. I didn't hear many compliments to how the Holy Cross team out worked
the Gophers.

It goes both ways and a lot of this stuff comes back from the Gopher fan's
own arrogance and attitude towards Sioux fans so basically they are getting
back what they sowed and maybe some of these fans should stop looking
through their maroon and gold goggles.

First off, Sioux fans were lectured all season about how Minnesota was the
pride of the league that they would be playing the Badgers in the
Championship game of the Final Five. First change of plans. Sioux and the
Huskies go to the title game of the Final Five. Minnesota goes to the third
place game and gets spanked by their first so called rivals. Second we have
to listen the Media/propaganda machine in the Twin Cities after the final
five talk about the insignificance of the Final Five and the third place
game and how it didn't matter that the Gophers already knew where they were
going. Also its funny to hear the media try to convince us that Kellen
Briggs is a really good goalie. So fast forward to this past week, we were
told that UND doesn't want to play Minnesota in the championship game. We
also heard how UMN was going to cruise to the Frozen Four in Milwaukee. Thud
Cinderella from the East coast took out the golden boys from Minnesota. I
guess there won't be Minnesota fans talking about how REA is Marriuci West.
So pardon a few of us as we enjoy the golden boys from Minnesota getting
dropped from the tourney.

Now on to the email.

Thanks for writing these comments Mark!

Another friend had the same experience.  I guess MN is the Sioux's
biggest rival (not ours) and they love to put us Gophers in our place.
But you are right, the announcers should try to be as professional as
the rest of the hockey world.  But they don't.  I know that the Gopher
announcers are partisan, but they would be FIRED if they ever said
anything derogatory about the other team, it just isn't done.

the WCCO boys are put in their place and shown some humility.
Wally and Company make The Sioux announcers look objective. I was listening
to the the WCCO boys last weekend talk about how the officiating was poor
and
one sided. So it goes both ways.

Mark Lewin wrote:

>Finally, I have to comment on a broadcast I listened to last night.  Anyone
>who knows me knows that I am a longtime fan of RPI hockey. However, I truly
>enjoy college hockey in general. I haven't missed an ECAC tournament in
>Albany nor an NCAA event in Albany ever, even though RPI hasn't been there
>in years.  Yesterday, after watching both northeast semifinal games on my
>cable network, I decided to catch up on some work on my PC.  While sitting
>there, I decided to link to the North Dakota link to listen to the
>UND-Michigan game. I was struck by the totally unprofessional effort on the
>part of the UND announcers.  This was not a school radio station and these
>were not student announcers. These were supposed professionals. I'm not
>naive enough to believe that local sports announcers should act impartial.
>These announcers were pro UND and that's fine. Where I thought they stepped
>over the line was when they started belittling anything that wasn't UND.

What did you expect? I am not sure what you want from Tim and Greg, they are
doing their job, they are paid by
clear channel to be the voice of the Sioux hockey team not the pinnacle of
pump up the east coast and the rest of college hockey.
These broad cast are intended to be broad cast to people that are pro-UND we
have to listen to the same crap when we watch UND and UMN on Minnesota
sports channel or better known as FSN North.

>They made a point of questioning the competance of the eastern referees by
>belittling eastern referees in general. They went on to promote a UND
>freshman as the legitimate WCHA rookie of the year by stating that the
>actual WCHA rookie of the year wasn't nearly as good as the UND candidate.
>They stated that the Grand Forks regional was sold out but there would
>probably be plenty of tickets available for the regional finals the next
day
>and to just look for the people with the big M on their jerse.

My wife who is not a hockey expert by any shade of the imagination said the
officiating in the Regional first two games sucked, she was talking about
both games. Point blank the officiating was horrible, sub par, call it what
it was it was an aberration. It was kind of funny watching the Gopher
players looking confused as they got put down 5-3 against HC. They are not
used to being called for a lot of penalties because they usually get the
majority of the breaks from the WCHA officials, everyone knows if blow a
call against Minnesota you may lose your job as an official, I know one AR
how basically was pushed out of the league for calling a penatly against
Minnesota and it ended up costing Minnesota the game, this guy has never
basically reffed another game in this league. The East coast officials call
the games much more tight than the western refs and they take the focus off
of the players and on to the officials, people don't come to the game to
watch the officials give us a exhibition on officiating. They come to watch
the players play hockey.

>They went on to refer to Minnesota several times as the Golden boys or the
Golden
>Goofs and topped things off by stating that Minnesota should be ashamed of
>embarrassing the rest of the WCHA by losing to an Atlantic Hockey team.
I'm
>sorry. You can root for your team all you want, but if you have a
microphone
>in front of you, you are representing your team and your community and you
>should make some effort to be dignified and professional.

Again, Minnesota fans have brought this stuff on your self and your paying
for it. With their Arrogant fans and Pompus attitudes. Also your players fed
into ti too with the Jersey thug by Irman at the REA this past winter.

Its all fun until it comes back to bight you in the back. It was almost like
your fans were surprised UND fans would
cheer for the HC team. Where I was sitting I had a Gopher fan getting into
it with an older lady because she was cheering for HC.
Grow. I was accosted last week for cheering for SCSU against the Gophers,
the guy came up to me and was obviously upset because I was cheering for the
Huskies. Also, he reminded me that he cheer for the Sioux against Bucky. I
mean, where do these people get off.

>Tonight, I'll listen to the final.  I'll be listening to the Holy Cross
>broadcast.
>
>Maybe I'm just getting ornery in my old age!!!

Hyper sensative and making issues out of nothing.

Eric J. Burton
(701)-610-9466
http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/
The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time with the Blood of
Patriots and Tyrants.

-