From:
"Carol S. White" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:10:57 -0600
Thanks for writing these comments Mark!

Another friend had the same experience.  I guess MN is the Sioux's
biggest rival (not ours) and they love to put us Gophers in our place.
But you are right, the announcers should try to be as professional as
the rest of the hockey world.  But they don't.  I know that the Gopher
announcers are partisan, but they would be FIRED if they ever said
anything derogatory about the other team, it just isn't done.

Mark Lewin wrote:

>Finally, I have to comment on a broadcast I listened to last night.  Anyone
>who knows me knows that I am a longtime fan of RPI hockey. However, I truly
>enjoy college hockey in general. I haven't missed an ECAC tournament in
>Albany nor an NCAA event in Albany ever, even though RPI hasn't been there
>in years.  Yesterday, after watching both northeast semifinal games on my
>cable network, I decided to catch up on some work on my PC.  While sitting
>there, I decided to link to the North Dakota link to listen to the
>UND-Michigan game. I was struck by the totally unprofessional effort on the
>part of the UND announcers.  This was not a school radio station and these
>were not student announcers. These were supposed professionals. I'm not
>naive enough to believe that local sports announcers should act impartial.
>These announcers were pro UND and that's fine. Where I thought they stepped
>over the line was when they started belittling anything that wasn't UND.

The problem with the refs are that some call ALL the penalties, where
the WCHA refs let alot of the stuff go.  If it doesn't affect the
game... it's not called.  I'm not saying that I like that, it's just
different for the teams (and the fans).  The MN-HC game seemed to lack
flow at times due to all the penalties called, but it affected BOTH
teams, so no deal breaker!  I also hate refs who swallow their whistle
in the 3rd and/or the OT, a penalty in the 1st, is a penalty in the
3rd!!!  The refs were just different, not bad or incompetent. =-O

>They made a point of questioning the competance of the eastern referees by
>belittling eastern referees in general. They went on to promote a UND
>freshman as the legitimate WCHA rookie of the year by stating that the
>actual WCHA rookie of the year wasn't nearly as good as the UND candidate.
>They stated that the Grand Forks regional was sold out but there would
>probably be plenty of tickets available for the regional finals the next day
>and to just look for the people with the big M on their jerseys.

They must have been confusing Minnesota with Michigan, who does do
that.  I am sure that most of the Gopher faithful who are also college
hockey fans, stayed and used their tickets.  Although if they were being
harassed in the stands I would not blame them if they just left. :-(

>They went on to refer to Minnesota several times as the Golden boys or the Golden
>Goofs and topped things off by stating that Minnesota should be ashamed of
>embarrassing the rest of the WCHA by losing to an Atlantic Hockey team.  I'm
>sorry. You can root for your team all you want, but if you have a microphone
>in front of you, you are representing your team and your community and you
>should make some effort to be dignified and professional.
>
>Tonight, I'll listen to the final.  I'll be listening to the Holy Cross
>broadcast.
>
>Maybe I'm just getting ornery in my old age!!!

No, you are not getting ornery! And this will come back to haunt them
sometime.  I saw a sign in the Ralph (on the TV broadcast)  which said:
"where are the Gophers?  Home watching TV."  nice. >:o

I've cheered for NoDak in the past, but no more.  I *feel* like a
Yankees fan (which I'm NOT)... the only people who love the Gophers are
Gopher fans. =-O

And for my last comment GO Boston College!!!

-Carol

--
Carol S. White  =^..^=
GO Gophers!!!

Email:  [log in to unmask]

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance...
I hope you dance.....
  ~ Lee Ann Womack