From:
Nathan Hampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2006 13:32:09 -0600
On 3/13/06 1:07 PM, "Arik Marks" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I can't believe that of all the topics for people to discus this time of
> year there is so much discussion of this topic.  (I think the old home-team
> regional hosts and ice-size debates would be more welcome at this point!)
> There is a pretty clear set of rules, as people have outlined previously,
> which leave it up to the rink and the refs to take care of.  And home teams
> can and will use the rules to their best advantage.

There is a big difference here. As for "regional hosts and ice-size" those
are just part of the rules of the game, and cannot be changed no matter how
much bitching goes on. But the taking of a cowbell into a rink is a
different matter (though in some respects no different if you see it as a
rule someone used to their advantage). The use of a cowbell, prohibited by
the NCAA or home arena ushers (e.g. Feminazis), is a restriction of
individual liberties which some people are not willing to surrender. These
are things worth fighting for, these are rules worth changing. Freedom
requires eternal vigilance, and the cowbell is the symbol of that freedom
which the NCAA is attempting to squash. Where the regional is played and how
big the ice do not infringe upon my liberties or freedoms. If the person
besides me wants to clang their bell as a freedom of expression then I
should be willing to fight for their ability to do it regardless of if I
agree with that expression or not. Unless the clanging of the cowbell
infringes upon public safety, welfare, health or morals, then I see no
reason for the NCAA (e.g. State) to infringe upon it.

Whatever happened to good old fights in the stands, anyway?

Nathan Hampton