From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 05:59:40 -0800
I didn't see it, but this sort of thing has been happening the past few years.  Two years ago, the
booing during the US National Anthem in Montreal was bad enough that prior to the anthems, a
message from Jean Beliveau(in Montreal, akin to a message from above) appeared on the Jumbotron
asking the fans to please listen respectfully to both anthems.

I'm not sure what Michael Neal is referring to when he talks about cheap nationalism.  If he's
talking about yelling "U_S_A", then I disagree that's cheap nationalism; that's cheering your
team.  If he's talking about booing a national anthem, I haven't seen it in the USA, but if it
does happen, then I would be offended, just as I am when someone boos a hockey player for
political reasons or when Don Cherry was unleashing his jingoistic diatribes.

--- KMartin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Maybe that is not new, but from what I got off the PodCast is
> that they were booing not because of the general rivalry
> between the hockey programs of the US and Canada (like a
> college rivalry), but because of the country they were
> from.  The impression was that the booing was more
> politically motivated.  Which I believe has no place in
> amateur sports.
>
> IMHO
>
> Kathy M.
> Go Gophers!