From:
Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:47:48 -0500
We went to the Providence game at Northeastern Saturday night, a game NU
won 6-0.  I hadn't seen Providence much this year, and I know they have
played much better at home than on the road (only 1 road point, that at BC
after their goalie made 60 saves,) but is this team quitting on their
coach?  I have rarely seen a team in Hockey East mail one in the way PC
did Saturday night.  Lazy, shiftless, unmotivated, no spirit, no effort,
no nothing.  It didn't help them when their goalie made some
uncharacteristic bad plays and let in soft goals, but I don't think it
would have mattered much in the end, as they didn't play anywhere close to
their capabilities.

Coach Pooley has been a favorite whipping boy for some of the vocal
internet fans, especially over on USCHO, due to the continuing
underachievement of the Friars.  Some have speculated that he will not be
back when his current contract runs out.  It is difficult to recruit for
Providence, and their rink is merely adequate, but is this team destined
to become a perennial afterthought in HE?  It was only a couple of years
ago that they were a preseason #1 pick in the league only to finish way
back in the pack, and they have done nothing since.

Does anyone know why this year's team seems incapable of competing on the
road, or if there is any sign that things will improve?

-- Rick McAdoo