From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2003 09:28:04 -0800
I think that the athlete should have a little more connection to the school than just the sport. I
think that the colleges owe something to the students that who are not suited for college, not so
much the ones who have an arguable case, and get in on the same basis as legacies and promising
dancers, thespians, or oboe players, but the ones who wouldn't even get a close reading of their
application, or who struggle to make the – in my opinion – ludicrously low SAT/GPA requirements.
What I'd propose is the elimination of the requirement that college athletes attend traditional
college classes.

Instead of the sham courses and majors that many schools have, they should ensure that every
athlete has the opportunity to end his/her eligibility with an employable skill, whether it's
rocket science, plumbing, tractor-trailer driving, or haircutting.

Clay