From:
Matt Bigley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Bigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 21:31:35 -0500
For what it is worth, Fox Sports just showed the collision that resulted in the injury to Exeter.  As a certified level 4 referee who has done amatuer national championship level games, the hit appeared clean.  I saw nothing that was malicious or an intent to injure.  The injury resulted because Exeter has no chinstrap on his mask and it came off before his head hit the ice.

I suspect that the penalty on Eaves was meant to protect him and control the game.  Not necessarily the route I would have taken, but one that is certainly understandable.