From:
"Sara M. Fagan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sara M. Fagan
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:51:43 -0500
Years ago there were often posts on Hockey-L about people's trips to various
hockey game.  I decided that I would post this message that I posted on the
message board at www.skatingsaints.com.  (I do not run the site but find it
enjoyable and if you are a SLU fan you should check it out.)  Some may find it
interesting and others may not.  I leave it up to you if you care to read it.
I will warn you that I don't describe the games and I am a fan of SLU and the
ECAC.

A few of my thoughts on the Eastern regional.  I really enjoyed the hockey
for the most part.  I was very sorry to see Harvard and Cornell lose but I
was pleased by their play. Hopefully next year the ECAC will send a team to
the Frozen Four and it will be SLU.

I thought the Harvard/Maine game was very good and I was hoping the Harvard
would pull out one more overtime win.  I believe that Harvard is a very
young team and will carry this momentum into next season.  It was too bad
that more Harvard fans didn't show up at the Centrum to support their
Crimson.  Perhaps may students were away from the Cambridge area on Spring
Break.

The Cornell/Q game was less than exciting.  I wanted Cornell to win but I
didn't want it to be embarrassing for the Q.  It was really too bad they
had such a bad start.  By the third period I was cheering for the Q.  It
was apparent that they weren't going to win and I didn't want them to get
shut out.  I certainly didn't want Cornell to get a shut out either.  The
Cornell fans were there in force and made it rather hard to support
Cornell.  I think they probably made a lot of enemies but they may have
impressed some others.

Both Sunday games were very good.  I couldn't decide who to pull for.  BU
or Maine but I guess it was Maine who wanted it more.  I am sure that it
was a very emotional win and they will be very happy going to St. Paul.
I gave Cornell all my support but things but it just didn't happen.  An
excellent game.

Now a few comments on the Cornell fans.  They can be obnoxious can't they?
As some of you may already know, I don't like the "trained dogs" (or in the
case of Cornell , trained bears) types of group cheering.  I hate cheers
that are aimed at the opponent.  I think you should cheer for your own team
and encourage them, not ridicule the opposition.  I guess I am too logical.
When I hear "sieve", I think, why then haven't you scored more if he is so
bad?  When I hear "it's all your fault", I think, so your guy isn't
talented and had nothing to do with it.  I think the other team deserves
respect and consideration.  (Thus I don't like the newspaper thing and
yelling "sucks" all the time.)  But I do like the way they support their
team and they didn't give up.  During Sunday's Cornell some CU fans moved
into the row in front of us.  I think they may still have been students.
They were really into it, wearing jerseys, yelling to all the players by
name and joining in the chants.  I spoke with them throughout the game and
they were very nice.  When I mentioned that I supported SLU they commented
on how much they loved Appleton although they don't always win there.  For
the last three minutes when they really wanted to stand they sat anyway
because they knew the people behind them didn't want to stand.  As we left
my friend (who was wearing a UNH jersey so you know who he was rooting for)
said to me that he really appreciated their enthusiasm and liked the way
they stayed to salute the team even after the loss.

Congrats to Harvard and Cornell for a season well played.  Next year I hope
it is our SAINTS who are showing off their skills in the NCAA tourney.

Sara
SLU '77
Let's go SAINTS!!!