Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1992 16:08:48 EST
Hi,

If you promise not to tell, I stayed out of work to watch the game today.
IMHO, the EUN performance came as close to a "perfect" hockey game as I have
seen. Their passing was flawless, the plays were exquisitely set up and
executed, the power plays were especially impressive, and their defense (as
reflected by shot totals) gave the USA tremendous difficulties just getting
the puck out of the USA defensive zone, not to mention passed the red line.
The USA team was lucky to have stayed as close as they did until late in the
game. On the flip side, I think team USA also played a very good game (maybe
a few too many penalties in the third period - but they had to take some
chances) and has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. They just lost to a
better team.

I don't think the officiating was the problem (although the last penalty
making it a 5 on 3 may have been questionable). The level of performance of
the EUN team today made them look invincible. I say congratulations to the
EUN team for playing such a strong and focused game. Many of the EUN team
members are playing under what might be called difficult circumstances at
best. They rose to the occasion and played an outstanding game.

Bob Gross