From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:06:29 -0500
>On the other hand, one could say, that at 11-0 (10-0 NCAA), RIT
> continues to find ways to win.
You can say so as an RIT fan/person/whatever. Myself being a UNO fan, they lost.

> I just got back from Omaha, and will post a full write-up later, but
> just let me say that until after the second game, RIT felt they got no
> respect from the UNO coaches, players, and Omaha media. Before the
> series started, the papers were full of quotes from coaches and
> players about what an "embarrassment" a loss would be to RIT.

I never heard this before the series. I heard this after the first loss and
the way UNO played it was embarassing, not so much because they lost but
because UNO played with no motivation whatsoever and really played like ****.

Actually, if you think about it, no offense to RIT, but shouldn't it be
embarrassing to lose to a lower division team? What if it was Michigan State
instead of UNO who lost to RIT, is it then embarassing? Or what if UNO had
beaten Michigan State last week, wouldn't that have been embarassing to MSU?
Or how about if some of the great Husker football teams of the past beat
some weak NFL team (which they probably could have), wouldn't the pro team
be embarassed? Where do you draw the line?

 After
> dropping the first game, Mike Kemp said that even though RIT was a
> "fine team", the loss was "on paper, the low point in the history of
> the UNO program."

I would agree with that, simply because UNO played arguably the worst game
ever in front of its home fans. The only thing that comes close would be the
11-0 loss to Maine in Orono last year.

Don't think that wasn't extra motivation for RIT,
> who calmly went out and won two very exciting games in front of over
> 6,500 the first night and 4,500 the next - small crowds for UNO but
> huge for the Tigers, who beat Buffalo State Thursday night 11-1 in
> front of 249 people.

All the more reason UNO should have won. With that many fans behind you,
even if low by UNO standards (I heard first night was closer to 5,500 - but
it doesn't really matter, and Sunday's crowd was lowest ever), you should
not come out flat and and play like you were forced to be there.

>Kemp was full of praise for RIT after the second loss and was probably
> quoted out of context earlier, but it still stung.

most fans have said only good things about RIT, especially their goaltender,
and most of hte negative stuff I'm hearing is on UNO's will to play. I get a
feeling UNO is about to be booed by their home fans if they don't start
showing more effort and heart. Of course, that's one of the worst things
about Sunday's loss. The GWG came off a turnover by one of the few guys who
does play hard every night.

 They way the Tigers took game two, trailing 3-2 with
> 3:54 to play and then *bangbang* getting two within 15 seconds was
> just devastating.

See comment above...as one UNO fan said, "the **** just hit the fan."
Hearing that 2nd goal on the radio made me think of Brant Brown of the Cubs
and Bill Buckner of hte Red Sox. Hopefully UNO will find some rallying point
from here and turn it around. Of course that's what I said when Allan Carr
played his first game, which we won because of his 4 point performance, and
now he's become a healthy scratch.

>#23 is indeed Matt Garver, who transferred from RPI and, according to
> him, couldn't be happier. He's bonded to this team very well, and was
> certainly part of the "circle the wagons" mentality the Tigers had in
> Omaha. He got a stick to the cage at the end of game one for his
> "How's that for D-III?" comment in front of the UNO bench, which
> apparently had been taunting him all night. That's all the players
> wanted to talk about after the game.

Didn't see that one, but I was still talking about #24, not #23, in my
earlier posts. He was the one instigating alot of stuff.
===============================
      Ben Flickinger
E-Mail:    [log in to unmask]
(Stanley Cup Champion) Detroit Red Wings Fan for Life
Proud resident of Bugaha(Omaha)-Home of the FIRST Jim Rome World Tour Stop.
U!N!0! U!N!O!
Everyone can have a bad century or two. Cubbies all the way in 1999.
QOTW: "HEEEEEEeeeeeeeeee Shoots! He Scores!" (Hockey announcers everywhere)