From:
Will Anzenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Will Anzenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:26:32 -1000
On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Richard S. Tuthill wrote:

>         Not exactly sure what Will's point was about getting on the sports
> tickers,  but anyone who thinks UConn can't get on a ticker for whatever
> sport they really want to needs a reality check.   Probably the same for
> Army.   If they have that particular sport on the ticker,  either one of
> those schools can get on with very little trouble.   I don't mean to sound
> arrogant,  that's just the way it is.

I don't know if we are talking about the same thing, but here is what
I meant.  Sportsticker (a company out of NJ) gathers the scores and
the provides them to third parties (e.g., CNN Headline News, CNN/SI).
In turn, those companies figure out what they want to put on the
ticker.  3 years ago, if my memory serves me, you didn't see college
hockey scores on CNN's tickers.  I also don't think you saw all the
D1AA football games either.    CNNSI's ticker might be different -
they might even give you Georgetown *football* scores, I don't know, I
don't get that channel.

Yes, the schools have to help and make sure that Sportsticker gets the
scores for the *opportunity* to get the score on CNN, but there is no
guarantee that will be shown.

Other than that, I don't know what goes into making the actual call to
put say Army hockey score on the ticker, any more than a Georgetown
football score - it is a discretionary call by the cable channels.