From:
"Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 22:24:07 -0500
>  "wrong" responce was very
> helpful, thanks Greg.

Actually, Derek, I figured someone would re-post the complete bracket with
pairings.  I also was not exactly sure that the original poster had gotten
all of the numbering correct (for example, is 5E the fifth eastern seed or
the fifth *Albany* seed, which is actually the fifth western seed), so I
refrained from going into greater detail given that I was not sure about
whether the 5/6's were being listed as correctly crossing over or not.

This is reason number one I posted this to the full list: is the
letter/number designation "5E" now officially the team that is seeded fifth
at the western regional?  I hope so -- it would clear up some confusion.

Now, back to the misunderstanding.  Derek -- since your post was an
either/or: either 1E plays 2E (the wrong one) or 1E plays 2W (the right
one), the one-worder and its context gave you all the info you needed.
Sincerely sorry you elected to read my post as an insult -- it was meant to
be helpful.

Now, the second reason I posted all this to the list: this demonstrates
something about Netiquette that occasionally needs restating to keep a list
pleasant.  9 times out of 10, if someone thinks they're having their chain
yanked it is just a misunderstanding, as in this case.  In those cases, it
would be *MUCH* better to post to that person personally, if for no other
reason than to clear it up.  I've heard that hockey-l is a far friendlier
list than most, so I assume this is the policy that most of us follow.
Sorry to waste bandwidth here, but when you've been bad-mouthed to a group
of people you respect, many of them friends, for a total misunderstanding,
*and* after trying to be helpful, it's annoying.

Derek -- none of the above is an insult to you.  I do wish you'ld posted to
me privately, as your misunderstanding would have been cleared up in a
second.  In retrospect, yeah I guess my post ot you was ambiguous -- if you
default to thinking people who take the time to post to you are insulting
you.