From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 21:33:04 -0500
There will be two contests going on concurrently. You may enter
one or both. There is a single entry form for entering one or both
pools.
Please, only entry per person.

Send your entries to me at [log in to unmask]
DO NOT SEND YOUR ENTRIES TO THE HOCKEY-L LIST.

The following information is required to enter either or both
pools:
1) your name
2) your address (city and state only)
3) your e-mail address
4) your prediction of the winning team in ALL 11 games of the
        tournament

The following information is optional:
5) your team affiliation
6) your league affiliation

Contest #1 will be the "total goals" pool.
In order to enter this pool:
Fill in your predictions of the winning team for each and every
game in the tournament.
Fill in the total number of goals scored by both teams
for all 11 games of the tournament.

Scoring will be as follows:
1 point for each correct prediction in each of the 4 first round regional
        games.
2 points for each correct prediction in each of the 4 second round
        regional games (those games against the bye teams)
3 points for each correct prediction in the semifinals and finals

In case of a tie, the total goals will be used as a tiebreaker.
(In case you're interested, my reasoning for the scoring method is this:
in each first round game, everyone knows both teams in advance; in the second
round game, everyone only knows one team for sure; in the semi-finals and
finals, no-one can knows in advance either of the teams).

Contest #2 will be the "goals differential" pool.
In order to enter this pool:
Fill in your predictions of the winning team for each and every
game in the tournament. After each winning team prediction,
enter either your prediction for the goal differntial or
the score of the game(I will calculate the differential).
Also enter the total number of overtime games, the total number of
goals scored by the winning teams (for ALL 11 games) and the total
number of goals scored by the losing teams (for ALL 11 games).

Scoring will be as follows:
1)For each game you predict correctly, if you also correctly predict
        the goal differential, you will get 5 points + 3 bonus points
2)For each game you predict correctly, if you miss the goal differential
        by one goal, you will get 5 points + 2 bonus points
3)For each game you predict correctly, if you miss the goal differential
        by two goals, you will get 5 points + 1 bonus point
4)For each game you predict correctly, if you miss the goal differential
        by three or more goals, you will get 5 points
5)For each game you do not correctly predict, you get 0 points.

In case of a tie:
The first tiebreaker will be the number of overtime games. (Note that
this is the number of games, not overtime periods. If a game goes into
a second OT, it still only counts as one).
In the unlikely event that there is still a tie, the second tiebreaker
will be the total number of goals scored by the winning teams in ALL
11 games.
In the extremely unlikely event that there is still a tie, the third
tiebreaker will be the total number of goals scored by the losing teams
in ALL 11 games.
In the unbelievably, unlikely event that there is still a tie, those people
who are tied win the honor of conducting next year's pool.

For those lines where total goals are needed, add them up and enter
the total. I will not add them for you. Add carefully! Last year, there
were 3 people tied for 5th place in the pool. After counting the
tiebreaker, I placed 5th. I discovered afterwards that I had added the
goals up wrong. If I had added correctly, I would have finished 7th.

All entries should be in by noon, Friday, March 27.
If there are questions, let me know as soon as possible.

Remember, DO NOT send your entry to the HOCKEY-L list.