From:
"Andrew J. Weise" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew J. Weise
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 17:04:33 -0500
Regarding keeping the ECACs in Lake Placid, Mark Lewin wrote:

As an ECAC and college hockey fan, my only comment is "NUTS".
I feel as if the proper place for this tournament is near the geometric
center of the conference  which is Albany in an arena and an area
that can handle a larger crowd.  But then again, no-one asked me.

Luiz F. Valente replied:

Brian Morris then wrote:
>Actually, no.  I think Albany is also a better venue.  Lake Placid is a
>pain to get to, and tends to become home ice for Clarkson.  Yes, the Knick
>would be home ice for RPI, not that it would matter with their current
>record being 1-2 at the Knick.  And thanks for the show of support for our
>city, we'll remember that in 2001.

From a fan perspective, let's weigh the advantages & disadvantages for each,
shall we?

First with Lake Placid:

Advantages
Disadvantages
- atmosphere (Olympic attractions)                               - not
geographically central
- atmosphere (Whiteface Mtn)                                       -
concession stands are all in the way
- atmosphere (small-town homey feel)                          - potential
for Adirondack snowstorm
- directions to the area are pretty basic                             while
driving to or from
- plenty of things to do when you're not                       - hotels want
a two-night minimum
  watching hockey

Albany:

Advantages                                              Disadvantages
- geographically central                           - the Knick itself can
feel like a
- plenty more seats at the Knick              ghost town if the "right"
teams show up
- shopping malls                                     - downtown Albany
                                                                - shopping malls

Having it in Albany is convenient. While that's nice, it shouldn't be the
selling point. Let's take a Union fan as an example. This is a team that
has never made it past the ECAC Quarterfinals. If they were to win one
of those (someday, they will!), I will go out on a limb and say that the
typical fan would much more enjoy planning a long weekend in Lake Placid
to support their team than to make the 10-mile venture from downtown
Schenectady to downtown Albany.

Sure - you have to dip into your vacation funds. Sure - you may have a decent
drive ahead of you. Sure - you have to stay two nights (it's LAKE PLACID,
remember - decent lodging is not that expensive). Sure - the arena may need
some re-designing of its concession stands (can you tell I'm bitter about
that?).

These disadvantages far out-weigh the convenience of Albany, IMO. It will not
kill anyone to take some time off and enjoy a weekend of exciting hockey.
I don't mean any disrespect towards any ECAC fan, but if you are a true
fan of your team, you'll make the trip. Just ask anyone from Cornell, Vermont,
Clarkson, and those five guys in the upper deck wearing Princeton jerseys.

I would much rather take a day off (well, maybe two) from work and enjoy
the type of weekend that any tourist town - sorry, village - can offer. I won't
keep going on this because I'll just go on forever. I understand that it's
not as
easy to take time off and maybe if you had kids, it would be a little more
difficult. But I think I'd rather take a weekend trip to a tourist village
rich in
sports history than Albany. Again, no disrespect to Albany residents (I'm one
myself) - I just think Lake Placid is much more worth the trip.

Comments (even flames) are welcome.

Andy Weise
SUNY Potsdam  '93
Union College  '95